Saturday, June 27, 2020

An Interview To Remember; एक यादगार साक्षात्कार; ایک یادگار انٹرویو ; Deepak Budki


   An Interview To Remember;
एक यादगार साक्षात्कार;ایک یادگار انٹرویو 
 Deepak Budki

In 1973 I resigned from my job at Kashmir Govt Arts Emporium (A unit of J&K Handicrafts S&E Corporation) and went to Delhi to look out for a job. I was 23 years old, armed with MSc (Botany) and B Ed degrees from Kashmir University. An interview call had been received from Apeejay Public School, Faridabad. As I entered the room and was seated in front of the interview board, one of the interviewers said, " You are from Kashmir University, isn't it?"
"Yes Sir", was my answer.
"Oh, that University....! It reminds me of a bad experience I had with them. Once they sent me MA (Political Science) answer books for evaluation. After 2 months I received a reminder to send the evaluation sheets and answer books as it was too late. I replied that first you send me the honorarium due to me then only shall I send the result sheets otherwise not. In fact, I learned that they always delay in paying the honorarium and one has to remind them several times before money is received. The correspondence went on for another month or so. Then they informed me that I need not send the result sheets as they have already announced the result on the basis of the average of other subjects. That was enough to shock me."
It looked like I had started on the wrong foot. A very bad picture had been painted by him on the minds of the interview board. So I had not only to prove my mettle but also to remove the negative image from their minds. I humbly replied, "Sir, have you come here to evaluate my university or me. You ask me relevant questions and I shall try to answer."
Other members agreed with me and after that, the expert on Biology asked me several questions which I answered to the best of my ability.
At the end, I asked, "Sir, how did I fare, will I be selected?"
"That we can't tell you now, there are thirteen candidates in your category, you are seventh and six are yet to be interviewed."
"Okay Sir, I shall wait outside till all of them are interviewed because I cannot afford to go to Srinagar and come back if selected that too when no TA/DA is permissible."
"Okay wait outside, we will see," The Chairman said.
After they finished with the other candidates, I again approached them and asked for the result. The Chairman said, "It is not possible to inform you right now unless the result is approved by the Competent Authority."
"But Sir, you have already decided the Competent Authority has simply to endorse it. You should be able to let me know."
"No, no, that is not permitted by the rules."
"Sir, I waited this long only to tell you that all institutions go by Rule Book. Nobody can short-circuit them. Isn't it? My Kashmir University also has laid down certain rules about evaluation and payment to evaluators, and nobody can force them to change the rules. Anyway, I am aware you won't be able to tell me the result now due to bureaucratic red tape. So be it. Anyway, I am going back."
After a few days, I received a postcard for joining the job but I declined with the following reply sent on a postcard.
"My offer was rejected on the spot. Since no TA/DA is given, I can only afford to travel on my own once. Thanks."
Incidentally those days there were no walk-in interviews

No comments:

Post a Comment