Saturday, June 27, 2020

My First Interview; मेरा पहला इंटरव्यू; میرا پہلا انٹرویو ; Deepak Budki

My First Interview;मेरा पहला इंटरव्यू;
میرا پہلا انٹرویو  
Deepak Budki

I thought of relating an experience of the maiden interview I had to face in 1971. I completed my MSc (Botany) & B Ed in 1971 at the age of 21. I used to teach the children of the MD of J&K Handicrafts Corporation without any remuneration due to the insistence of my late father who was working in the organization and inching towards retirement. My father was very hardworking and honest but had faced many problems in the office during his short career. He was keen to get an extension due to liabilities at home. The MD too had a reputation of honesty and he was happy with the work of my father.
My father had joined the organization in 1961 after giving up two well-located handicraft shops, one on the Bund & another in the Central Market, on the insistence of my late mother. He was appointed as Manager initially but after some time was told that his appointment was only that of Asstt Manager. Being naive to Bureaucratic bungling, he resented and accepted just ₹200/- pm as pay till his case was settled. Even as Asstt Manager he would otherwise be entitled to ₹250+ pm. The case took more than 10 years to be decided in his favor but no arrears were paid to him. With this meager sum the widower looked after one son and three daughters.
The organization opened its gates to new blood for the first time as the MD invited applications for jobs of Managers/Asstt Managers. MD instructed my father to tell me to apply for the job. I refused straight away explaining that I want to join the Education Department and am qualified for the same. Father talked to my uncle who had a great influence on me, he painstakingly explained to me the situation of the household and convinced me to send my application.
A written examination was held in which I stood 3rd in the list. One Abdul Samad (MA Eco) was placed first and Ms Madan, daughter of the Secretary of the organization was placed second.
Then came the Oral interview in which there were three members, one was the MD himself, another was Mr Tambe, MD JK Industries, and third I didn't find out who he was. Mr Tambe, IAS had earlier worked as Commissioner, forest department for some time. So he shot out questions about plants and vegetation.
"What do you know about the vegetation of the temperate region?" I explained what the characteristics of the temperate region are compared to Tropical and Sub-Tropical regions but simultaneously told him that it is not humanly possible to give the names of all plants in the temperate regions. He realized that and therefore, shot another question, "What is an exotic?" I correctly described what exotic means. He asked me to give an example, possibly had Chinar in mind. I was nervous, couldn't remember any, but since I was working on root ecology of a plant I thought how much botany might this fellow be knowing. So I replied, "Sir, Salvia moorcroftiana." He looked at me bewildered but immediately added, "How about Chinar?" I was not aware of its origin so said confidently, "Oh Sir, Platanus orientalis". He shot another question, "Where did it come from?" I almost got frustrated but held on my nerves, "Sir there are several views about its origin. Some say it is indigenous, some say it came from China ( I thought Chinar word has China in it ), and some say it came from the Middle East." So left no options. MD felt that I was replying well so he told Mr Tambe, "Ask him more if you please." I was on the verge of breaking down. But thank God they told me it is all over, I could go.
The result was announced after some days. A few candidates, even those who were far below me in the merit list, were appointed as Managers (The Secy's daughter declined the offer) while I was offered Asstt Managers post in the pay scale of ₹140-250. The list had its communal markings on it. Was Shocked, so I didn't want to join but again under the pressure of my uncle and father had to join my first posting as Asstt Manager, Kashmir Govt Arts Emporium, Chandigarh on 01 April 1971

No comments:

Post a Comment