Saturday, June 27, 2020

My Father-A Tribute; मेरे पिताजी-श्रद्धांजलि; میرے پتاجی -خراج عقیدت : Deepak Budki

My Father-A Tribute;मेरे पिताजी-श्रद्धांजलि;
میرے پتاجی -خراج عقیدت 
 Deepak Budki

My father, born in 1916, played a double role all his life, one that of the father and the other that of the mother since he lost his wife very early in 1962. He used to say that I may have to beg, borrow, or steal for children's education, I shall not hesitate to do so. He was very keen that his children should be well educated. It was this keenness that made him shift me from Government School at Nawakadal to DAV Higher Secondary School, Amira Kadal which was 3-4 km from my home and I used to go on my bicycle to the school. But the shifting paid rich dividends as the faculty there were good educators and would take keen interest in the personality development of students.
My father, Pt Radha Krishen Budki alias Pt Nila Kanth Budki was a thorough gentleman who rarely got angry or put up a so-called fatherly stern face. He owned two shops, SUDESH ARTS AND CRAFTS, one on the Bund with rare facing Polo ground chowk and the other in the Central Market, #115, where he used to sell wood carving and papier-mache. I often went to the Bund shop with the hope that he would take me to the famous restaurant, The Ahdoos either for lunch or for tea. In 1961 he joined Kashmir Govt Arts Emporium as Manager but faced a lot of official problems there. By the time he had both lost his wife and also sold his shops, therefore, had to manage his family on a meager sum of Rs 200/- pm. Worse still he received injuries in his leg three times, one after the other, during the winter season while he was working in Emporium. But he braved it all. 
Later on, after his retirement, he worked as an agent for LIC and was very successful in selling insurance.
I still remember the glee on his face when I went to his LIC office at Lal Chowk to announce that I had qualified in my written examination of IAS and Allied Services. Perhaps to be doubly sure he took me along with to the PIB office and saw my roll no #2050 personally. Thereafter it was the interview which remained. Ultimately I had qualified only for Allied Services and not for IAS/IFS or IPS but had 5th position in the merit list. Since I had given my first option as Indian Postal Service, so was allotted to the same. As a result, I was also able to don the military uniform by going on deputation to Army Postal Service for 9 long years.
I always miss his cool and calm beside his patience as I don't possess any such qualities. At times I wonder how much he must have suffered having lived alone without a partner for almost a quarter of a century. he breathed his last on 07 May 1986. At this stage, all that I can do is pray for his soul to rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment